Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Jagged Ridge Hike

Traveling to the tip of Korea this weekend, we’ll be spending our time hiking on another well-planned William Cho and Discover Korea trip.  Following an overnight bus ride, we’ll watch the sunrise over Admiral Lee Park, take a ferry to Sa Ryang Do and make our way from to through the jagged ridges of this island, hiking literally the whole island.  On the way home, we’ll stop by the Jinae Cherry Blossom festival, known exclusively for their, you guessed it, Cherry Blossom trees!

Now that was an abridged version of our travel itinerary, panned out by William Cho and company.  Also included in this itinerary was the mention of possibly wanting to purchase travel insurance.

April Fools, William?  If I had to make any suggestions about this trip, it’d be to purchase LIFE insurance, as I feared for my life hmm… one to many times.

After fighting for and securing the back of the bus, our group of 10 coziest right on in a passed out… well all of those equipped with some Benadryl (I should really start thinking about being a spokeswoman for Benadryl, huh?).  And all of those equipped with Benadryl also missed the sunrise over Admiral Lee Park.  Oops.  Gotta get those 8 hours.

For me, a sunrise is a sunrise.  But I will say that a Korean sunrise is somehow 10 times better than any American sunrise I’ve seen.  Don’t know why, but I’m always more impressed.  It works the same with sunsets too.  Although blessed by the always exquisite sunrise over the Land of the Morning Calm, I managed to spread out across 3 seats and sleep right through it.

Good thing for B and his new love of photography.

After crossing (bus and all) from the mainland to Sa Ryang Island, we began our “moderate hike including some difficult ridges that are avoidable using side trails. A trail that, if you exercise once or twice a week you should not find difficult.”

But this wasn’t just a hike.  I’d say it was more a combination of hiking and rock climbing.  Jagged Ridge was a much better explanation than the one above.  Although it started off as a stroll through rice paddies, it ended quite differently.

The original mention of 4 peaks, turned into SEVEN and that stroll turned into literally vertical up and down climbs, accompanied by a rope, if lucky.

So all said and done, I and my sore body might just have to disagree with you on that one, Will-iam Cho. “Moderate.”  Ha.

But in the company of 9 amusing friends, not only was this hike rock climbing bearable, but actually quite enjoyable.  With the weather warming up and surrounded by water, I was in a good place.

Alright, until the last peak… With each peak becoming increasingly steep, several of us opted to scoot around this vertical peak, determining that without proper equipment, this just actually wasn’t safe.  I did not purchase LIFE insurance, so I would not be tumbling down this mountain today.  Thanks.

And this is when we hit the mother load.  Dozens of Koreans.  Korean Hikers.  Intense just doesn’t quite do.  What more than intense?  Yes- crazy.  Beyond passionate.  Beyond determined.  And in this crazy state to get down the mountain they literally climbed OVER us.  I don’t know where they thought they were going because we were all stuck behind the ONE Korean in the whole entire country who (although decked out in hiking gear and looking professional) doesn’t know how to hike.

I don’t think a nice word came out of mine, Emily’s, or Ali’s mouth on that last descent.  A nice jjimjilbong (sauna) by our pension turned our frowns upside down.  As did the best galbi I’ve ever eaten.

This probably sounds like a jumble of complaints, but I must say, this was the best hike ever.  Perhaps it was the company or the accomplishment or the location.  Nope, it was definitely a combination of it all!  I can’t say I’d do it again, but I definitely enjoyed round 1.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I am reading this before my turn to do the hike this weekend! Good grief what is it with Koreans and always completely underestimating the difficulty of a hike?! Got the same for Seoraksan...yuck. Great read though! I have my own blog about my year here at hausinkorea.wordpress.com if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete