Friday, April 8, 2011

FFF (28) - April Showers Bring...

RADIATION?

I’m sure you’ve heard, as it is impossible to avoid, the Nuclear plants in Japan are leaking radiation.  And of course this is affecting Korea… and only if you’re Korean will you believe this.

Shortly following the Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami, a random snow storm hit Korea whilst nearing the end of March.  Weird, right???  Well, two of my co-teachers separately decided to tell me that the snow is bringing the radiation, a “fact” I immediately refused to believe.  I mean geologically speaking, this just seems impossible. 

With Japan being located mainly east and slightly south of Korea I find it difficult to believe that cold weather was approaching from the Southwest.  What I find a little more reasonable would be winds hailing from Russia and China heading from the Northeast, the typical direction of Korean winds at this time of the year.  Hm…

So somehow with the snow brought radiation from Russia and China.  Chernobyl occurred 25 years ago, right?  Yeah, I don’t get it either.  But have no fear, the Koreans still overreacted, per usual.

FYI: Radiation Rain
immediately causes
death... watch out!


Well, I thought two mentions of the radiation in the snow was a little overreacting… until the rain came.  This week we had… (drum roll please)… RADIATION RAIN.  And God forbid you left your house without your umbrella.


That is, if you even left your house.  Some schools closed due to the… (drum roll)… radiation rain.


Don't forget your umbrella... you might get
scolded by your overprotective co-teacher!
I imagine that this is how it panned out- One Korean (probably a manufacturer of  우산 ) had the idea that the rains could possibly bring in some of the radiation from the leaks in the nuclear power plants, which led to 10 Koreans believing this, which led to many more Koreans quickly becoming aware of the fact, which led to a few hundred Koreans contacting their local government officials, which led to the government officials freaking out, which led to the option of school closures. 

Fine, put my life on the line multiple times during snow storms, but when the possibility of… (drum roll)… radiation rain occurs, keep me inside.   Sometimes I just don’t get it!!!!

Ironically, he's probably getting just as much radiation from
that device that never leaves his ear...


No comments:

Post a Comment