Friday, January 7, 2011

FFF(16)- Korean School System

With a vast range of differences in the Korean public school system, I really wish someone would have explained these upcoming changes to me as I signed my contract and boarded a plane to half way across the world.

But the reality of it is that I still haven’t fully grasped the concepts of the Korean school system.  So I’ll start from the basics, and then get into specifics of teaching for GEPIK.

The school year begins in March, with the first semester extending to somewhere in July, depending on when your principal has decided for your summer break.  Quite like the American winter vacation, summer vacation is anywhere from 3-4 weeks in length.

Following summer vacation, the Fall, or second semester commences, proceeding to the end of December, upon which time your winter vacation begins.  After your one day holiday for Christmas, winter camps get underway.

Summary: Your school year goes from March to December, with breaks occurring in July/August and the end of December until the end of February.

Well quite unlike the American school system, Westerners do not get off during their vacation time.  In fact, as I currently sit here on my winter “vacation” I am mastering a task that we GEPIK teachers like to call “desk warming”.  However, during this time period, you are allowed to use your 20 days of paid vacation.  But for the rest of the 40ish days of “vacation” you must still come to school and either teach camps or just… sit in sheer and utter boredom, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Meanwhile, all Korean teachers have off, unless of course, they take on winter/summer camps.

Summary:  You can only spend your 20 vacation days during winter and summer break.

Now camps is an interesting concept, as most westerns use their vacation time to go to the beach, enroll in sporting events, and take a break from the books.  Welp, of course Korea is different.  Students come to school and learn moreeee.  But honestly, this is not me complaining because I absolutely LOVED teaching winter camp.

Summary:  You’ll teaching camps during breaks, but they are awesome!

And now for a concept that I still have a hard time understanding.  Despite finishing classes in December, my 3rd grade students still haven’t graduated.  In fact, Jangdang Middle School graduation doesn’t commence (no pun intended) until February 8th and somehow proceeds for 3 days, until February 10th.  And to throw another loop hole in there, they don’t even take classes during winter vacation, so I don’t know what they’re doing right now, but they definitely aren’t middle school graduates yet.  But like I said, I still don’t quite follow the whole education system.

Summary:  Graduation is oddly misplaced in the education system and they really need to figure out a better system.

So I hope this has helped clarify any misunderstandings, especially if a potential applicant or soon to be waygook (Korean term for foreigner) has magically stumbled upon this modest, recently unkempt blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment