Friday, September 3, 2010

Ms. Independent

Ok so I know I posted about an hour ago, but I just saw something that really blew me away. On the bus ride home today I grabbed a sit right in the front, and thus was able to observe everyone entering the 20 bus. Now I LOVE to people watch, so this was my kind of seat. So I'm sitting there, exhausted from the work week, just gazing around, when the bus stops and picks up a single passenger- a young man with Down syndrome.

As many of you may know, I have worked thoroughly with children with disabilities, particularly those with Down syndrome and Autism. But it is so rare to find a person with special needs traveling by themselves. So immediately, I became teary eyed, and as I have been doing, compared yet another aspect of Korea to the U.S… “This is what we are working towards, yet struggle so much to succeed.” As I was processing this thought, the bus comes to another stop. Three children, no older than 6, enter the bus. In America would you let your 6 year old, or your child with a disability use the public transportation system? If you’re smart, no.

And then I got to thinking- Korea thrives on its independence. Women are able to walk through dark alleys without the fear of being raped. Old men and women do not steal away the seats of others because they do not expect special attention. And young children and the disabled are able to have their freedom because it is a way of life here in Korea. She is SAFE. She is INDEPENDENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment