Friday, September 24, 2010

Fun Fact Fridays (1)

So I’ve decided to include a new feature on my blog to help my lovely readers become more cultured. Every Friday, I plan on posting a fun fact. Now this may be about Korea, an upcoming event for the following week, an event that already occurred, a country I intend to visit, or just completely random if I have nothing else to offer.

So as you have just read in “Dominated”, I got, well, dominated by a 63-year-old Ajima. Now I’m not going to sit here and convince you that I am in the best shape of my life, because let’s be honest, I’m not. But I’m definitely not out of shape and in no way the type of shape where you would have to roll me down the mountain. But on Wednesday, I would have loved for Brandon to have “accidently” pushed me over the edge. It would have saved me lots of pain and humiliation.

In an attempt to explain myself, I would like to share with you this little fun fact about Korea and hiking-

Fact: According to our Korea travel books, as 70% of Korea is covered with mountainous terrain, hiking is the number-one leisure activity; thus making Ajima much more skilled in traveling down slippery mountains. So although I looked weak and like a wimp, Ajima has been hiking for well over the amount of years that I’ve been alive.

And since I just started this up (and on FB I promised the email from our Ajooshi) here’s a second fun fact for this Friday:

Fact: The Koreans are much more appreciative of the American war efforts than the French. Below is an email from an old man we met on our hike up Gwanaksan. We sent him an email with a few pictures from the day and this was his response:

It was great pleasure to see two of you enjoying our simple diet. And the aunt whom we met with was very generous woman. I realized she met you at Mt. Kwanak for the first time. So I am thankful for her especially.
I am proud of our traditional culture(including food) because of you.
I appreciate your kindness for sending me several photos as you promised. I am always thankful for your country from long long ago. U.S.A saved us from Korean war in 1950. And helped us economically. I hope we can't forget this fact. We must thank you all.
I also wish you'll suceed in army and enjoy your being in Korea.
Good luck!!
Yours Ryu wonho

No comments:

Post a Comment