Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's Positive...

It’s my last day before a week-long break! Chuseok, the Korean equivalent to Thanksgiving, is the most celebrated Korean holiday, hence the week long break from school. During this time, families travel all throughout the country to gather around the table to enjoy songpyeon (rice cakes), celebrate the harvest moon, and pray for their ancestors. According to everyone I’ve talked to, it’s nearly impossible to drive during the holiday, as traffic is backed up from the DMZ all the way down to Jeollanam-do. Therefore, most English teachers travel outside of Korea.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to do this, as the Korean Immigration Center has my passport. Thanks Korea! Although, I must say this is slightly my own fault. As I got to Korea, I was asked to take a test… which came out positive. A big, fat plus mark.

NO! I am NOT pregnant. It was a drug test. Not that that makes it much better. However, their drug tests are beyond different from American drug tests. I do not know why, but for some odd reason, you are not allowed to have ANY drugs in your system: illegal, prescription, caffeine, NOTHING.

So, shortly after arriving in Korea, I took my drug test. But don’t forget, I had taken a Benadryl on the plane. Whoops. Yeah, my drug test came back positive. HA. HA. HA… The girl who has NEVER done an illegal drug in her life just received a “positive” on her drug test. Great. Actually so ironic.

So obtaining my alien registration card has been… slightly difficult. The Koreans probably think I’m some drug smuggler. Cool.

Although I can’t travel outside the country for Chuseok, I’ll definitely find something to do with my time.

And the good news- I just heard today that my second drug test came back negative. Wahoo. I can officially become a resident of Korea and not feel like a wannabe druggie anymore. Maybe they’ll return my passport, with my ARC, by the next holiday break.

And, 10 bucks says that at least three of you thought that I was pregnant. Gotchya!!

No comments:

Post a Comment