Thursday, October 21, 2010

Home Cooked Meal

Yep.  You guessed right- I got me some home cooking.  Now, no, this was no southern cooking, nor was it any home cooking from my stepmom or my stepdad.  Side note:  Thank you Mom and Dad for getting remarried, because as I am writing this, I realize that without remarriage, I might have starved through my childhood. 

Back on track… One of my “students” in my parent’s class, Sahra (that would be Korea’s interpretation of Sara/h), invited me to join her and her friend, Isabella, at her house for dinner, in hopes of learning some extra bits of English.  Exhausted from the thrills of Monday, I dragged myself over to her home, located in a recently constructed high-rise.

As I entered her plush apartment, I met her adorable 11 year old son, who much to my disappointment, is only in the 4th grade, so unfortunately he won’t be entering Jangdang next year L. 

Over dinner, we engrossed ourselves into some pretty hefty subjects, like the importance of the U.S. military in Korea and religion.  But for some reason, they seemed to be most interested in Brandon.  “Why isn’t your boyfriend here?” and “Next time your boyfriend HAS to come.”  Apparently I’m not good enough for them.  They are dying to meet Brandon, mainly because they want to see how “handsome” he is. 

But I didn’t care.  I was getting home cooked bulgogi, kimbap, and my first salad since being in Korea.  Besides, I think Brandon’s pretty handsome, so I guess it was pretty easy to brag about him.

As the girls (we’re tight now) drove me to my bus stop, Isabella invited me to Jazz concert next Tuesday and told me “We want to be close to you.”  Looks like me and the gals are going to be besties.  If this leads to more home cooked meals, I won’t complain.

However, in the back of my mind, I just might be singing Brad Paisley’s “Ain’t Nothin’ Like”, secretly wishing for “some good hush puppies and some sweet iced tea.”  Oh Elon, I miss you.  Wish I were visiting you for Homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment