Friday, October 29, 2010

FFF (6)

After being in Korea for two days shy of two months now, I’ve realized how giving Koreans are.

Fact: Koreans LOVE to throw gifts at you, and it’s nearly impossible to say no, so it’s inevitable that you will be saying “Kam sa ham ni da”.

Take for example today at school.  After teaching my classes with me, my co-teacher offered Brandon some South American tea.  He kindly declined, but of course this wasn’t enough. 

Bianca: Are you sure?
Brandon: Yes, yes.  I’m ok, but thank you.
Bianca: But it’s ok.  You should have some.

Two minutes later, Bianca comes back with three cups of tea- one for me, one for her, and of course, one for Brandon.

And this just so happens to be how I came to eat octopus.  We have this little gathering area in the middle of the teachers’ office.  Every now and again, people bring in treats and we all take a break from lesson planning and eat some Korean delicacies. 

So after class one day, I walk into the teachers’ office and see what looks like kimchi on the table.  So obviously I open my big mouth, “Is that kimchi?!?”

“Big Head” (one of the Korean teachers with, well, a big a head) replies, “No No.  Better.  Octopus.  Come Eat.”

Ugh.  How to kindly say no…hmm… “I’m ok.  I’m still full from lunch, but thank you!”

Five minutes later I’ve been coerced to join and enjoy octopus.  But I had a game plan- just eat everything without tentacles and green is always good.  First choice, cucumber.  Second, carrot.  Third, I pick up a piece and say “onion” in attempt to teach the Koreans some English words.  Wrong, wrong, and WRONG.  OCTOPUS.

Keep chewing.  Don’t spit it out, it’s impolite.  And don’t puke.  Just swallow.  Now say “Mmhmm, very good!”

But don’t get me wrong, some of these small presents are welcomed with open arms.  Take for instance, Big Head (he likes to act like my dad because he has children my age) noticed that I’m always cold, especially considering that it’s been December weather here recently.  So out of the kindness of his heart, he bought me a mini blanket to use at my desk.  KAM SA HAM NI DA!

Sometimes it’s a blessing, other times a nightmare, but regardless, always remember to say, Kam sa ham ni da!

No comments:

Post a Comment