Friday, May 6, 2011

FFF (32)- 오월 Holidays

Koreans pack holidays into the month of May.  Perhaps they are trying to make-up for the lack of days off in the fall?  Whatever their reasoning, I’m digging it.  Although I don’t have any MAJOR plans for these days, I will certainly be relaxing in my PJs for at least a few of them.  So here are the vacation days for 오월:

Children’s Day- May 5th
Parent’s Day- May 8th
Buddha’s Birthday- May 10th
Teacher’s Day- May 15th
School’s Birthday- May 27th

Unfortunately the whole common sense thing didn’t quite work its way into holidays.  Whereas most American holidays fall on a Monday (President’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc), ultimately making it a long weekend, Koreans fall on certain days, making them in the middle of the week sometimes.  And this year is one of those sometimes.  While Children’s Day is on 목요일 Buddha’s Birthday is on the following 화요일, meaning I work that Friday and Monday.  Cool Korea… A 4 day weekend would have been GREAT.  And a 6 day would have been even better!

Eh.  Oh well.  At least my school’s birthday falls on a 금요일 this year.  Lucky me.  I’m thinking about heading down to Busan that weekend!  And just to clarify, every school gets off on their “School Birthday” which is pretty self-explanatory.

No comments:

Post a Comment