Monday, March 21, 2011

Captivating Cambodia

This is exactly what Cambodia did to me.  I’m 100 percent, thoroughly C.A.P.T.I.V.A.T.E.D.  Simply put, Cambodia stole my heart.

From the people, to the food, to the culture, I’ve fallen.  It’s safe to say that of all of the eighteen (!!!!) countries that I’ve visited, Cambodia is the most captivating.  Although my words will not do justice, here’s my best effort:

The Land- Despite visiting at the height of dry season, the land, laid with a thin layer of brown “grass”, seemed to elicit a certain beauty.  The “large town” of Siem Reap was no more than your average town from a western movie- lined with dirt roads and wooden buildings- that gave a certain homey feeling to it. 

Shortly after arriving in Siem Reap, we ventured on our way through town and got wind that the thing to do at 5pm was watch the sunset over the temples of Angkor.  So we ordered up a tuk-tuk (the preferred transportation of Cambodia) and headed the 30km north.

This is where the real beauty of Cambodia’s landscape stood out.  Having climbed to the top of an Angkor temple, we watched the sunset over the vast fields that seemed to go on for miles without a modern structure in sight.

Side note about tuk-tuks:  Brandon and I mutually agreed that in any future game of MASH a tuk-tuk is a requirement and neither of us would be upset if chosen.

The Food-  Pol Pot’s effort in returning Cambodia back to its roots failed, particularly in the food department.  A mixture of Cambodian, Southeast Asian, European, and Australian restaurants line the streets.  If you want rice- they have rice.  If you want a baguette- they have baguettes.  If you want crocodile- they have crocodile. 

And of course, we got crocodile… and ostrich… and snake… and kangaroo.  We literally ate Australia in one sitting.  This picky eater loved each one- offering up different textures and tastes, this meal certainly was a treat.  Although delectable, this meal falls short of my favorite Cambodian dish.  The title belongs solely to Amok- a meal I was able to prepare myself through Cambodia Soup Restaurant’s cooking class (which I highly recommend).

A delicacy which we did not touch happened to be frog, which I’m assuming stems from their long “interaction” with the French.  And in fact, a variety of their culture seemed intertwined with French culture.  The older generation is indeed fluent in French and some of their buildings, particularly in Phnom Penh, happen to have a wealth of European influence.

The people- Charming Cambodians- are definitely some of the most gorgeous people whom I’ve ever encountered, from the inside out.  In retrospect, it is actually unbelievable to realize that every Cambodian whom we met either endured Pol Pot’s torture or was a first generation of one who fought off his cruelty.   Yet some how… some how these people are the most sincere people, as a collective group, that I’ve ever come across. 

Oh and they are aesthetically beautiful too.  Their eyes are literally enchanting.  Unlike most Asians, Cambodians have light brown eyes that radiate against their tanned skin.  It just felt like there was so much genetic difference than what we’ve encountered in the Northeast Asias.  

Needless to say, I wanted to pack up nearly every little orphan that littered the streets.  Too bad International Adoptions are currently closed to the U.S.  A recent report mentions that the U.S. is holding its ban on Cambodian adoptions until changes are made in Cambodia.  This ban against Cambodian adoptions to the U.S. began in 2001. 

All in all, I’m dying to get back to Cambodia.  Following my year in Korea, I’ve decided to attend nursing school.  And following my visit to Cambodia, I’ve decided that, post-RN degree and experience, volunteering in Siem Reap, Cambodia is now on the bucket list.

**I have so much to say about Cambodia that a subsequent post will be posted containing some short stories of our Cambodian experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment